Tennessee Scholastic Clay Target Program invites youth from all corners of the state to test their skills with shooting sports on October 1 and 8.
Tennessee Wildlife Federation’s Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) is hosting 4th through 12th graders on October 1 and 8 statewide, to try shooting sports. The free recruiting day will introduce the youth to the world of shotgun shooting and get them connected to a team in their area. SCTP will host a total of 18 events across several counties throughout the state.
“As a former athlete myself, it’s always great watching a new generation of athletes fall in love with the sport for the first time on recruitment day. Shooting sports are incredibly inclusive–you don’t have to be a certain body type, age, or gender to succeed. We hope to welcome even more students this year to safely show them the value of shooting sports in building confidence, determination, focus, and friendship.”Ashley Tone, SCTP Manager
No previous experience is needed. Beginners will be guided through proper firearm safety and receive instruction from a highly-trained coach before having the chance to hit a few practice targets of their own.
Interested youth must have a legal guardian present to participate. Safety equipment will be provided for each participant. Most locations will have firearms available for attendees, but participants are encouraged to bring any equipment they do own.
Recruitment day is centered on making meaningful connections.
“Recruitment day is centered on making meaningful connections. We want the youth to make a strong connection with the sport of shotgun shooting and the team coaches. As a parent to an SCTP athlete, I also know how important it is for the youth’s family to connect with the sport and coach .”JW Worthen, Director of Programs, Tennessee Wildlife Federation
Tennessee Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) develops athletes who win national titles and provides students with opportunities to earn college scholarships. The program operates under the Tennessee Wildlife Federation, one of the state’s leading policy, engagement, and stewardship nonprofits dedicated to conserving the state’s wildlife and natural resources. Shooting sports play an important role in supporting and introducing youth to conservation.
Tennessee SCTP athletes learn valuable life skills including safe firearm handling, responsibility, leadership, and teamwork all while participating in an environment of healthy competition.
Oct. 1 Recruiting Day Location and Times:
- White Pine, Tenn. at Hog Heaven 560 HWY 113 — 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. (ET)
Oct. 8 Recruiting Day Location and Times:
- Brownsville, Tenn. at Brownsville Young Guns Trap and Skeet 2004 Beech Grove Rd. — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- Celina, Tenn. at Moonshine Mountain Shooting Range 5548 Arcot Rd. — 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (CT)
- Clarksville, Tenn. at Montgomery County Shooting Complex 4201 Southside Rd. — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- College Grove, Tenn. at Harpeth Scholastic 8541 US-31 ALT — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- Crossville, Tenn. at Fairfield Glade Shorty Barnes Rd. — 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (CT)
- Greeneville, Tenn. at Greene County Firing Range 1435 Hal Henard Rd. — 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (ET)
- Huntingdon, Tenn. at Carroll County Shooting Sports Complex 680 McAdoo Cemetery Lane — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- Johnson City, Tenn. at Unaka Rod and Gun Club 90 Furnace Rd. — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (ET)
- Kingsport, Tenn. at Cherokee Rod and Gun Club 4280 Reservoir Rd. — 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (ET)
- Knoxville, Tenn. at John Sevier Hunter Education Center 2327 Rifle Range Rd. — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (ET)
- Lavinia, Tenn. at Southgate Public Range 4780 HWY 220 — 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (CT)
- Lebanon, Tenn. at Cedar City Gun Club 921 Whippoorwill Rd. — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- Maryville, Tenn. at Smoky Mountain Sports Club 4286 Miser Station Rd. — 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (ET)
- Memphis, Tenn. at Shelby Farms 6791 Walnut Grove Rd. — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- Moscow, Tenn. at Moscow Shooting Range 402 Roy Owens Dr. — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- Munford, Tenn. at Tipton County Clay Busters Range 9691 HWY 51 S — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
- Nashville, Tenn. at Nashville Gun Club 1100 County Hospital Rd. — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CT)
To learn more about Tennessee SCTP Recruiting Day or find a team near you, visit tnwf.org/explore.