As a large contingent of Tennessee student athletes were competing at the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) National Championships in Illinois two weeks ago, another group from the Volunteer State was preparing for their turn and displaying their shooting prowess in Colorado.
The Tennessee Certified Training Center team (CTC Tennessee)—a select group of twelve of the state’s most accomplished shooters vying for a spot on the U.S. Olympic team—competed at the National Junior Olympics and the SCTP International Discipline National Championships in Colorado Springs. Like the larger group in Illinois, the Tennesseans didn’t disappoint.
Individually, the squad logged six medals, while capturing several more team titles. CTC Director Chad Whittenburg says the team continues to exceed even his expectations.
“Once again, I’m truly amazed at the level of dedication, drive, and excellence these Tennessee athletes were able to bring to a national stage at these Olympic-level disciplines,” says Whittenburg, who also serves as a National Junior Development Team coach for USA Shooting. “This is not an easy task. It requires a solid fundamental background in both the technical and mental aspects of the game, strong parental and hometown support, and the ability to receive advanced coaching. All these things work together as a recipe for success, and our Tennessee athletes have really made the most of their opportunities.”
National Junior Olympics medals went to CTC Tennessee team members:
- Gavin and Gracin Anderson (Monroe Co.), J2 silver medals in International Skeet
- Nelson Rainey (Columbia), J2 bronze in International Skeet
- Heather Broski (Spring Hill), J3 bronze in Bunker Trap
Emma Williams (Hardin Co.) finished fourth overall, was named J2 Champion, and was re-assigned to the USA Junior Olympic squad. Ellie Roditis (McKenzie) was named to the National Junior Team and World Championship Team, and will be competing for the U.S. in Lanato, Italy, next month.
In the SCTP International Discipline National Championships, titles CTC Tennessee captured:
- National championship, Senior Division International Doubles Trap. CTC Tennessee team members included Corey Hutto (Richland), Conor McCoy(Independence SCTP), and Jared Williams (Hardin Co. SCTP).
- National championship, Bunker Trap. CTC Tennessee team members included Corey Hutto, Grant Porter (Spring Hill), and Caleb Lindsey (Spring Hill).
- Third place, Bunker Trap. CTC Tennessee team members included Samantha Smith (Spring Hill), Noah Stafford (College Grove), and Emma Williams.
- Fifth place overall team in Skeet
Porter and Lindsey tied with a USA National Team member for the high overall match score and competed in a shoot-off. Porter took silver while Lindsey captured bronze.
Williams captured National Champion Runner-Up in the Women’s Senior division and Broski took the Runner-Up title in the Intermediate division for the second consecutive year.